Pages

1.17.2012

Folk Art Abstracts

 These are my paintings, which were inspired by Scripture. One of my purposes in painting them is to make people think about the verses in the paintings, and maybe to go read them for themselves. I want them to wonder why I included the elements that I chose for each one. The colors and shapes I select have meaning that is unique to each piece and, hopefully, arranged in a pleasing composition.  I also like to create lots of texture with the paint. My style is largely influenced by aboriginal art.

 Romans 10:9 painting, as requested by client to match her decor (to the right) and, in its original form (below).

 The "John 8:12" painting above is a little different from my usual style...although the world does sport my thick paint texture.

I incorporated a little collage technique in the Job 38:4 painting below...I thought it was an interesting way to add the words.

I drew this one (Psalm 139) in colored pencil years ago, but couldn't quite figure out what to do with it, until this style and I found each other! The painting above (Job 38) was another one I had sketched out years ago, but was scratching my head over for a long time!


Everyone knows about "Jonah and the great fish", but you don't hear much about "Jonah and the plant"! I was intrigued by this passage, so I painted it.

No comments: